There are a couple of different tools that you can use to measure portion sizes. My favorite visual is to use your hand.
- A fist represents a cup (for cereals, vegetables, casseroles, etc)
- A cupped hand represents 1/2 cup (pasta, rice, beans, etc)
- A palm represents 3 ounces of meat (beef, poultry, pork or fish)
- A thumb represents a tablespoon (peanut butter, salad dressing, etc)
- A tip of the thumb represents a teaspoon (butter, margarine, oil, etc)
To measure portion sizes you can also use other visuals. Here are a few examples.
- 3 ounces of meat is the size and thickness of a deck of cards
- A potato is about the size of a computer mouse
- A tortilla, pancake or waffle is about this size of a CD
- 2 tbsp of peanut butter or salad dressing is the size of a golf ball
- A cup of cereal is the size of a baseball
- 1/2 cup of rice or pasta is the size of 1/2 a baseball
- 1 1/2 oz of cheese is the size of 4 stacked dice