"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" - Hippocrates

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Post-Ride Pancakes!

This morning I decided to ride with the local Saturday group. It was a nice ride, challenging but not too hard. After the ride, as I was making my way home, I started thinking about what I would have for breakfast. Eating after a workout is so important, especially in that 30 minute window to replace glycogen levels. A combination of carbohydrates and protein in a ratio of 3:1 or 4:1 is recommended. There are commercial replacement drinks available such as Accelerade and Endurox but real foods and drinks such as chocolate milk, a turkey sandwich and pancakes work just as well.
Since my weekend schedule is more flexible, I look forward to making pancakes. And yes, you can make healthier pancakes- it is so easy. I use oatmeal for the base, but you could use whole wheat flour instead. I added 1 whole egg and 1 egg white to boost the protein content. Feel free to add in whatever you have on hand. Today I added raisins, walnuts, and carrots (like my friend Betsy says, get in your vegetables at breakfast!). I love adding canned pumpkin, but unfortunately it is impossible to find right now due to a bad harvest. This recipe makes 1 serving but you could easily adjust it for more.

Carrot, Raisin, Walnut Oatmeal Pancakes
1/2 cup oatmeal (use the instant kind- the texture is better for pancakes, cookies, etc.)
1 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 egg, 1 egg white
1/4 cup chopped carrot (I used a food processor.)
2 tbsp raisins
1 tbsp chopped walnuts
1 tbsp flaxseed
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp pumpkin spice
thumb size piece of fresh ginger grated (if you don't have fresh on hand, then just use 1/4 tsp ground)
1/2 cup water

Mix oatmeal, whole wheat flour, flaxseed, carrots, raisins, walnuts and spices in a bowl. Mix water and eggs in a separate bowl. Whisk until foamy (this incorporates air which will result in a fluffier pancake). Add water and eggs to dry mixture. Let sit for 5 minutes to allow oats to soften. Heat pan on the stove to medium.
* A couple of tips and tricks that I have learned from my dad, the pancake master. First, get your pan to the right temperature. Second, be patient. Dad always told us that patience was a Godly virtue (we certainly reminded him about that:). Wait until several small bubbles form before turning over.
Top with syrup, honey, agave nectar or even vanilla yogurt. Today I decided to have syrup. Publix has an awesome sugar free syrup- it doesn't leave a funny aftertaste like some other brands. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment