"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" - Hippocrates

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Butternut Squash

I love butternut squash. I have a squash plant growing in my front yard and I am anxiously awaiting the harvest. 
Butternut squash is high in beta-carotene which has been shown to have very powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. For more nutrition facts visit, http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=63.
I must admit, the first time I bought it, I wasn't sure how to cut or peel it? If you are planning to cut it in cubes to use in a dish, try this method: http://www.cookthink.com/reference/1040/How_to_peel_and_seed_a_butternut_squash?tag_type=&tag_id=

Try this recipe for a savory butternut squash risotto. This is based off a recipe from Cooking Light (http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1964004)

1/3 cup quinoa
1/3 cup amaranth
1/3 cup barley
(you could also substitute brown rice)
 1 onion, diced
8-10 mushrooms, sliced
2 cups chicken broth (I use Wyler's or HerbOx sodium free granules)
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt.
1/2 medium cooked butternut squash, cut in cubes

Saute onion and mushrooms in olive oil over medium heat. In a separate pan, toast grains over medium heat. Then add chicken broth, thyme and salt. Cook until grains are tender. Reduce heat to low and add onions, mushrooms and butternut squash. Portion onto plates. Add 1 tbsp feta cheese and 1 tbsp pine nuts. Enjoy!
Makes 3-4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment