"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" - Hippocrates

Monday, May 31, 2010

Eggs

I love eggs. Scrambled, hard boiled, omelettes. I usually buy an 18 because I go through them so fast. I hard boil several to have on sandwiches or for snacks. I usually share the yolk with my dog Molly. Omelettes are a great easy meal for evenings when I get home late from a workout. Eggs are cheap and they pack alot of nutrition (http://www.incredibleegg.org/health-and-nutrition/egg-nutrients). One egg equals the amount of protein in one ounce of meat (3 ounces is the size of a deck of cards). The egg yolk in particular contains alot of nutrients including choline, folate, lutein, zeaxanthin and vitamin D. Half of the egg's high quality protein is also found in the yolk. For those of you that have high cholesterol, keep in mind that it is not the cholesterol in foods that raises blood cholesterol levels, but it is high intakes of saturated and trans fat. A 2007 study of 9,500 people reported in Medical Science Monitor showed that eating one or more eggs a day did not increase the risk of heart disease or stroke among healthy adults, and that eating eggs may be associated with a decrease in blood pressure. However, the American Heart Association still recommends that individuals with high cholesterol levels limit their intake to 200 mg per day. For healthy individuals the recommendation is 300 mg. A large egg contains 213 mg of cholesterol.
So anyway the impetus for this post was my lunch. I just got home from a bike ride with the Landsharks and I was starving. I was talking with my neighbor Jordan and she was telling me about an egg white wrap that she had at Starbucks. It sounded delicious so I decided to make one at home.

Egg Spinach Mushroom and Tomato Wrap
1 Flatout Multigrain Wrap (if you haven't tried these, they are awesome. Only 100 calories which is great for a wrap. Sometimes I make a flatbread pizza with them too.)
1 egg, 1 egg white (I am not worried about the cholesterol content but I do like to control my fat content)
1 medium mushroom chopped
small handful of basil
a couple of sprinkles of thyme
1 1/2 tbsp feta cheese
1 plum tomato
Handful of spinach
Spoonful of greek yogurt (I love this stuff!)

Chop mushroom and tomato. Add mushroom, basil and thyme to whisked egg. Cook omelette. Spread greek yogurt on wrap. Top with omelette, tomato slices and spinach. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment